Reports To: SHE (IOT-SEI) Program Supervisor
Nature of work: The doula’s responsibilities include providing emotional and physical support to the mother, educating her on techniques that increase comfort and patiently answering questions and addressing concerns before and after the birth. The ideal candidate should be a good active listener who can provide advice without being squeamish or overly sensitive, have a natural ability to nurture and guide and be patient, forthcoming and able to provide practical advice as well as kind words of support.
- Provide the mother with emotional, physical, moral and educational support, especially during times when the father and other close relatives are unavailable.
- Listen to the concerns and questions of the mother in a kind, non-judgmental way and offer the best possible advice.
- Offer evidence-based information and refer the mother to reliable sources so she can make her own decisions to impart confidence that she can draw upon during labor.
- Attend prenatal meetings to get to know the mother and establish her birth preferences and other requirements.
- Maintain professional relationships with others caring for the mother, such as her family, as well as with her healthcare providers including non-medical staff such as professional counselors.
- Communicate with non-medical staff such as social workers and professional counselors.
- Remain with the mother throughout labor and provide physical and culturally appropriate emotional support during and after childbirth.
- Visit the home of the mother once she has been discharged and assist with the care of the baby while the mother heals.
- Provide practical support and advice to the mother after childbirth, like organizing the nursery, running errands and assisting with breastfeeding and meal preparation.
- Communicate in an attentive and individualized manner in every encounter.
- Provide care in a safe, comfortable and private environment.
- Document care provided or procedures performed accurately on patient records in a timely manner.
- Protect the privacy of the client; per HIPAA, no personal health information (PHI) should be shared unless the client has given her express consent.
- Attend Infant and Early Childhood Relational Health Trainings and Trauma-Attuned Prenatal Doula Training.
- Maintain professional certification.
- Keep up to date on childbirth support, birthing techniques and pre- and postnatal care by conducting research, networking with other doulas and mothers and attending workshops and lectures.
- Assist in whatever way possible to make the transition to motherhood easier.
- Demonstrate responsibility and accountability for professional practice, continued growth and self-evaluation.
- Adhere to employer work practices as described in Employee Handbook and Environment of Care Manual.
- Document work processes as required.
- Maintain professional appearance and personal conduct at all times.
- Adhere to all policies and procedures, including office and state protocols.
- Travel to clients as necessary.
- Extensive childbirth experience.
- Doulas of North America (DONA) or Childbirth and Postpartum Professional Association (CAPPA) Certification.
- A calming and nurturing presence.
- The ability to answer questions and provide guidance in a non-judgmental way.
- A wealth of knowledge on childbirth and pre- and postnatal care.
- The ability to remain calm, multitask and provide emotional support.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills.
- Active child and adult CPR certification.
- Bilingual facility in English/Spanish strongly preferred.
- Current valid driver’s license in good standing with clean driving record.
This full-time position provides generous paid time off, an offer of medical, dental and/or vision insurance and a 403(b) retirement plan with company match.
COVID-19 ADVISORY: All Family Guidance Center of Warren County employees must be vaccinated/boosted or be willing to submit to weekly COVID-19 testing. All staff, visitors, clients and guests must wear a face covering while inside agency buildings regardless of immunization status.
Interested candidates may send resumes/CV to Nichola Lydon by clicking the “APPLY FOR JOB” button below. No phone calls, please.
Family Guidance Center of Warren County is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com